The stomach ache can have different causes; sometimes a harmless condition, for example, indigestion may be abdominal pain.
Other common causes are irritable bowel syndrome, gastrointestinal infection or food intolerance. But pain can also be a symptom of a more serious illness (eg, bowel cancer).
In most cases, the cause of the stomach ache is actually in the abdominal cavity (for example, the intestine). The pain can however also come from another organ (the heart, for example) and radiate into the belly. And a pain in the upper belly, accompanied by nausea, may be reminiscent of ... a heart problem.
Sometimes abdominal pain is directly related to the area where the diseased organ is located: pain in the upper right abdomen may reveal gallbladder disease, while pain in the lower right abdomen may indicate appendicitis.
However, in the case of gastrointestinal indigestion or irritable bowel syndrome, the pain does not focus on a specific point of the stomach: the doctors then speak of "diffuse abdominal pain".
Here are some diseases and disorders that can cause acute and chronic abdominal pain:
- an unbalanced diet (eg too much fat, too much fat),
- an important anxiety,
- intestinal infections,
- an allergy,
- food intolerance (eg lactose or fructose, celiac disease),
- food poisoning (for example by fungi),
- gastroenteritis, gastric ulcer or duodenal ulcer,
- reflux disease,
- chronic inflammatory bowel disease (for example, Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis),
- diverticula to the colon,
- intestinal polyps,
- a cancerous condition (for example: bowel cancer, stomach cancer, pancreatic cancer),
- a tumor of the small intestine,
- pancreatic disease (such as pancreatitis),
- gallstones (gallstones) or inflammation of the gallbladder (cholecystitis),
- an intussusception of the intestine,
- peritonitis, etc.
Sometimes the causes of a stomach ache can be related to problems not directly related to a digestive problem, such as:
- menstrual pain,
- tubal inflammation,
- kidney or bladder stones,
- aneurysm of the aorta,
- disorders of the intestinal vascularization,
- heart attack (such as infarction of the posterior wall of the heart), etc.
In children, stomach pain often manifests itself as an infectious disease, such as gastroenteritis. But again, the causes are numerous.
Sometimes abdominal pain is caused by a disease such as measles, mumps, scarlet fever, laryngitis. Of course, for these diseases, other symptoms occur next to a possible stomach ache.You want to react, to give your testimony or to ask a question? Appointment in our thematic FORUMS or A doctor answers you !
Read also :
> Difficult digestion (dyspepsia): causes and treatments
> Functional colopathy
> Colon cancer