He seems so thin and fragile. And yet, human hair hides many secrets. And just the fact that an individual wears an average of 100, 000 hair on his head deserves a closer look at this part of our body whose function far exceeds the aesthetic aspect!
Our hair is mainly made of keratin fibers. Each hair consists of 3 layers:
- The cuticle, the outer sheath of the hair, is composed of several layers of keratin scales.
Well closed and adherent to each other, these scales give the hair its silky appearance; Assaulted, damaged by inappropriate hair care, the cuticles break and the hair becomes dull, forked.
- The cortex, located under the cuticle, is a kind of protein fiber bark.
It ensures the elasticity, vigor but also the color of the hair because it contains the pigments.
- The marrow, the central part of the hair, is connected to the bulb.
She is responsible for providing the necessary elements for the cuticle and the cortex.
Hair life cycle
The life cycle of the hair consists of 3 phases:
- The growth phase (anagen) lasts 2 to 7 years, and concerns 85% of the hair.
- The involution phase (catagen) lasts 2 to 3 weeks and concerns 1% of the hair.
- The fall phase (telogen) lasts a few months and affects 14% of the hair.
Each hair being at a different stage, it is normal to lose 30, 50 or more each day.
A hair grows on average 1 to 1.5 cm per month. Growth is not homogeneous over the entire surface of the skull.
Contrary to popular belief, cutting a hair short does not accelerate its growth, because it is only through the root that it grows.
How to act on hair growth?
- A healthy and balanced diet is essential: Consume amino acids found in meat and fish to contribute to the development of keratin.
- A course of food supplements can sometimes be recommended to boost the growth of new hair; these supplements must contain sulfur amino acids (main component of keratin), zinc, vitamin B6.
- Finally, it is advisable to regularly massage the scalp: they stimulate the blood circulation, promote the elimination of dead cells and the breakthrough of the new hair.
But, hair growth, like hair loss, is partly determined by hormonal and genetic factors.You want to react, to give your testimony or to ask a question? See you in our FORUMS Hair Loss, Hair Care or A doctor answers you!
Read also :
> Hair loss: causes and treatments
> Hair loss in women
> Trichotillomania: this mania to tear off the hair
> Oily hair: causes and treatments