In case of discovery of a hemophilia, a family survey is obviously carried out. This is to detect hemophiliacs who do not know each other, and to search for conductive women (of the disease).
It is possible to make an antenatal diagnosis in a pregnant woman belonging to a family of hemophiliacs or whose father is haemophiliac. This is to know if the baby has an X chromosome carrying the pathological gene.
It is also necessary to establish a hemophilia card notifying the type of hemophilia, the severity of the disease, and the center that has the patient's medical record. This in order not to delay a possible treatment in case a health care team does not know the patient.
In order to carry out this family survey, families of hemophiliacs are invited to have a genetic counseling consultation with a geneticist.
Prevent and stop bleeding
1 - Prevention of bleeding
The management of hemophilia should include prevention of bleeding, which includes information given to the patient. Here are some rules:
- The person with hemophilia will not fail to report to a new doctor about his illness or the existence of people with hemophilia in his family.
- Drugs that have an action on coagulation such as aspirin and anti-inflammatory drugs should be avoided.
- At the end of a blood test, an intravenous injection or a subcutaneous injection, it is necessary to make a good compression.
- Intramuscular bites are to be avoided.
- Vaccinations are possible because bleeding from these bites is minimal. That against hepatitis B is even strongly recommended.
- It is sometimes necessary to do a replacement treatment before surgery, dental avulsion, or even before physiotherapy manipulations.
2 - Treatment of hemarthrosis and hematoma
For children with hemophilia, an education of parents to take care of the child, will be undertaken and it will then often be possible to do the treatments at home.
Nasal anti-haemophilic products are available and are prescribed for minor haemorrhages or haemophilia.
- Treatment of an effusion of blood in the joint (hemarthrosis)
It is necessary to immobilize the articulation but as little as possible, sometimes it is necessary to make a puncture to evacuate the blood and to inject an anti-hemophilic product.
- Treatment of hematomas
In case of a minimal hematoma, it is necessary to make a compression. In case of major hematoma, it is necessary to inject an anti-hemophilic product and sometimes combine cortisone (corticosteroid).You want to react, to give your testimony or to ask a question? Appointment in our FORUMS or A doctor answers you!